It’s pretty common to see brands focus on trends when it comes to content efforts, but is that the best approach? While trends do hold weight in terms of their efficacy, evergreen content, also known as content that stands the test of time and content that nurtures your audience on an ongoing basis, should always be considered.
Get ready to take some notes as we share what you need to know about evergreen content.
What is Evergreen Content?
At its core, evergreen content is timeless. It remains relevant and remains relevant even as industry landscapes evolve. While brands evolve, a lot of foundational content and information that makes a brand unique remains relevant and should be shared on an ongoing basis.
Evergreen content is also great for nurturing your audience. One could argue that every piece of content could be evergreen, even trends, since you could apply an evergreen topic/concept to a current trend.
We also like to think that evergreen content is the type of content that takes an audience from being curious about a brand to helping them through the various stages of the journey.
Evergreen Content Examples
Now that you have a better idea of what evergreen content is, let’s dive into some examples. Chances are, you’ll be able to walk away after reading this post and create some new content.
1. A Brand’s Story: Your company’s founding story, values, and mission aren’t going to undergo drastic changes every year. Crafting a compelling brand narrative can serve as a foundational piece of content that resonates indefinitely.
2. Thought-leadership Content: Deep dives into industry principles, philosophies, or methodologies can remain relevant for years. Consider whitepapers, e-books, or long-form articles that tackle relevant industry questions and topics.
3. How-to Guides: If you’re in an industry with stable practices, “how-to” content can be invaluable. For instance, a detailed guide on “How to Write a Business Plan” or “How to Use our XYZ Feature” can be evergreen because the fundamental process doesn’t change drastically over time. Even if you have to maintain and update some of this content, that can easily be done with proper content update processes in place.
Tips for Crafting Stellar Evergreen Content
While content strategy and creative processes are not a one-size-fits-all approach, we do have some tips to help you create some evergreen content.
1. Deep-Dive Research: Comprehensive, in-depth research provides the foundation for content that stands the test of time. Understand industry pain points and ensure that your content addresses them proactively. Give your audience something to work with before they even have to ask.
2. Avoid Time-Sensitive Language: Phrases like “this year” or “recently” can immediately date your content. Opt for more general terms to ensure longevity. If you use time-sensitive language, ensure that you have reminders and checklists to update this content as needed.
3. Regular Updates: Ironically, for content to remain evergreen, periodic updates are essential. Ensure statistics, examples, or industry references are current to maintain credibility.
Evergreen content is an investment that, when done right, can yield returns for years. As you dive into the creation process, keep the omnichannel landscape in mind. Your content, in its many forms, can serve as a foundation across platforms, drawing audiences toward your brand’s timeless message.
Whether you are new to the idea of evergreen content or not, leveraging a tool like Stencil can help you with your graphic creation efforts. Learn how to get started in seconds on our website.